Saturday, December 26, 2009

In My Mailbox: Dec. 28 (5) Xmas Edition

Wow, 5 thats it? I'm a terrible blogger! Though now that I finally got caught up on all my reviews, typing up as we speak, I should be better. If I dont catch myself right as I'm getting behind I tend to get WAY BEHIND as we've seen in the last month and a half. But anywho, on with the fun stuff....

First off, In My Mailbox is a meme that explores all the books you got within a week (or if you get behind like I did, multiple weeks), whether it be for review, bought, borrowed, traded, won, from the library, or any other way. The mastermind behind this is The Story Siren who was inspired by Alea.

**I'm sorry but there was too many pictures to do the literal In My Mailbox pictures this week. Next week they will be back though!**

This Christmas I got some really sweet book and non-book gifts, but I'll just share with you the book ones. My parents didn't buy me any physical books, but I did get a $100 Borders card! Then after we had our family Christmas, I had got seven books from my grandma, a $25 Borders card from my aunt, and about $175 in cash (which I'm planning to buy books with.)
Here are the ones from my Grandma*:

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

I am so psyched to read this one- SO MANY GOOD REVIEWS! I don't think I've seen a remotely bad one!

Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender
Alexis thought she led a typically dysfunctional high school existence. Dysfunctional like her parents' marriage; her doll-crazy twelve-year-old sister, Kasey; and even her own anti-social, anti-cheerleader attitude.
When a family fight results in some tearful sisterly bonding, Alexis realizes that her life is creeping from dysfunction into danger. Kasey is acting stranger than ever: her blue eyes go green sometimes; she uses old-fashioned language; and she even loses track of chunks of time, claiming to know nothing about her strange behavior. Their old house is changing, too. Doors open and close by themselves; water boils on the unlit stove; and an unplugged air conditioner turns the house cold enough to see their breath in.

Alexis wants to think that it's all in her head, but soon, what she liked to think of as silly parlor tricks are becoming life-threatening--to her, her family, and to her budding relationship with the class president. Alexis knows she's the only person who can stop Kasey -- but what if that green-eyed girl isn't even Kasey anymore?

I've heard good things about this one too! (Though most said it creeped them out.) I personally think it sounds amazing!

Fire by Kristin Cashore
Fire, Graceling's prequel-ish companion book, takes place across the mountains to the east of the seven kingdoms, in a rocky, war-torn land called the Dells.

Beautiful creatures called monsters live in the Dells. Monsters have the shape of normal animals: mountain lions, dragonflies, horses, fish. But the hair or scales or feathers of monsters are gorgeously colored-- fuchsia, turquoise, sparkly bronze, iridescent green-- and their minds have the power to control the minds of humans.

Seventeen-year-old Fire is the last remaining human-shaped monster in the Dells. Gorgeously monstrous in body and mind but with a human appreciation of right and wrong, she is hated and mistrusted by just about everyone, and this book is her story.

Wondering what makes it a companion book/prequel? Fire takes place 30-some years before Graceling and has one cross-over character with Graceling, a small boy with strange two-colored eyes who comes from no-one-knows-where, and who has a peculiar ability that Graceling readers will find familiar and disturbing...


Hmmm, so techinically I haven't even read Graceling yet, but it looks so good, and yet another book I have yet to see a bad review on.

*Ha, next two books were in previous IMM posts*
Skinned by Robin Wasserman
Lia Kahn was perfect: rich, beautiful, popular -- until the accident that nearly killed her. Now she has been downloaded into a new body that only looks human. Lia will never feel pain again, she will never age, and she can't ever truly die. But she is also rejected by her friends, betrayed by her boyfriend, and alienated from her old life.

Forced to the fringes of society, Lia joins others like her. But they are looked at as freaks. They are hated...and feared. They are everything but human, and according to most people, this is the ultimate crime -- for which they must pay the ultimate price.

I have already read this book, (and LOVED it), but now I have it for my collection! :)


Crashed by Robin Wasserman
The followup to the debut novel Scott Westerfeld called "A spell-binding story about loss, rebirth, and finding out who we really are inside...intense and moving."

Months have passed, and in that time, Lia has joined Jude and his roving gang of mechs, an eclectic collection of bored teenagers looking for trouble, and uniquely capable of finding it. It’s a carefree life at first, but as the download process becomes more common, the opposition to the process becomes more vocal - and more hostile.

Lia gets swept up in the idea of being a revolutionary and fighting for a cause, but as the plans escalate, she starts having second thoughts — especially when she figures out Jude’s real agenda. Yes, he’s loyal to his cause — fiercely, desperately, blindly loyal. But only to his cause. Not necessarily to his people. In the end, Lia must make a choice. How many people — mechanical and organic — is she willing to hurt to protect her freedom? How far is she willing to go to protect the people she loves? And, when she betrays Jude—as she eventually realizes she must—how will he take his revenge?


I NEEDED this book, and have been dying to read it for awhile now! I originally had it from the Library but after my crazy Library Fiasco of '09, I wasn't able to read it enough time! (And I wanted my own copy.)

*My Grandma also got me Need and Hush, Hush, but I already had copies, so I returned them! Thanks Grams!

Per tradition, me and my dad go shopping the day after Christmas (this time my whole family joined us) we go out and spend our money! So obviously I headed over to Borders! I used by $25 Gift Card and my money from the returns, and I got...

Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow
Dru Anderson has what her grandmother called “the touch.” (Comes in handy when you’re traveling from town to town with your dad, hunting ghosts, suckers, wulfen, and the occasional zombie.)
Then her dad turns up dead—but still walking—and Dru knows she’s next. Even worse, she’s got two guys hungry for her affections, and they’re not about to let the fiercely independent Dru go it alone. Will Dru discover just how special she really is before coming face-to-fang with whatever—or whoever— is hunting her?


I'm so excited! When Betrayals came out awhile back, there was soooo much good buzz about this book I had to pick it up!


Betrayals by Lili St. Crow
She’s no angel . . .
Poor Dru Anderson. Her parents are long gone, her best friend is a werewolf, and she’s just learned that the blood flowing through her veins isn’t entirely human. (So what else is new?)

Now Dru is stuck at a secret New England School for other teens like her, and there’s a big problem— she’s the only girl in the place. A school full of cute boys wouldn’t be so bad, but Dru’s killer instinct says that one of them wants her dead. And with all eyes on her, discovering a traitor within the Order could mean a lot more than social suicide. . .

Can Dru survive long enough to find out who has betrayed her trust—and maybe even her heart?

I plan on falling in love with Strange Angels, so I've become prepared with the sequel! =)

Hunger by Michael Grant
It's been three months since everyone under the age of fourteen became trapped in the bubble known as the FAYZ. Things have only gotten worse. Food is running out, and each day more kids are developing supernatural abilities. Soon tension rises between those with powers and those without, and when an unspeakable tragedy occurs, chaos erupts. It's the normals against the mutants, and the battle promises to turn bloody.

But something more dangerous lurks. A sinister creature known as the Darkness has begun to call to the survivors in the FAYZ. It needs their powers to sustain its own. When the Darkness calls, someone will answer -- with deadly results.


Like Strange Angels, I plan to fall in love with Gone, (yet another I've only seen positive reviews for), so of course I had to pick up the sequel!

Rampant by Diana Peterfreund
Forget everything you ever knew about unicorns...

The sparkly, innocent creatures of lore are a myth. Real unicorns are venomous, man-eating monsters with huge fangs and razor-sharp horns. And they can only be killed by virgin descendants of Alexander the Great.

Fortunately, unicorns have been extinct for a hundred and fifty years.

Or not.

Astrid Llewelyn has always scoffed at her eccentric mother's stories about killer unicorns. But when one of the monsters attacks her boyfriend in the woods — thereby ruining any chance of him taking her to prom — Astrid learns that unicorns are real and dangerous, and she has a family legacy to uphold. Her mother packs her off to Rome to train as a unicorn hunter at the ancient cloisters the hunters have used for centuries.

However, at the cloisters, all is not what it seems. Outside, the unicorns wait to attack. And within, Astrid faces other, unexpected threats: from crumbling, bone-covered walls that vibrate with a terrible power to the hidden agendas of her fellow hunters to — perhaps most dangerously of all — her growing attraction to a handsome art student... and a relationship that could jeopardize everything.

Ha, another book had from library but had to return before read due to Library Fiasco of '09. I've heard really good things about it though, and personally can't resist a book about killer unicorns!

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers.
When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more. In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.


Holy Crap, I've heard more rave reviews or "this is my/ one of my all-time favorite book(s)" than any other book, EVER. So naturally I had to see what everybody is buzzing about!


Also, I can't resist showing you the books I got in my absense, but due to the already extreme length of this post, I'll just link them to their GoodReads page! I bought a couple, but again a good chunk are contests wins. That kinda makes me feel guilty, but I did buy a lot of books recently (you havent seen them because their either pre-orders or haven't arrived yet), so I feel better. And thank you to everyone who sent me a book via contest!

*
In A Heartbeat by Loretta Ellsworth (for Around the World tour here)
*
Gettin' Hooked by Nyomi Scott (for InGroup)--there will be no review because lets just say I did not like it remotely.
*
The Espressologist by Kristina Springer (also for InGroup)
*
The Dark Devine by Bree Despain (from Street Team)-- I also got like 300 bookmarks and stickers (which I passed out most of to promote), a T-Shirt, and some pretty purple nailpolish. I also, got a second ARC and nailpolish, but I had a giveaway for that! Am keeping one of them because its signed, though I plan to get a finished-copy too! :)
*
Invisible Lines by Mary Amato (for review)
*
The Maze Runner by James Dashner-- went to signing of his at B&N and got myelf a nice signed copy! Also, my 11 yr. old bro read this too and loved it! Picture of signed page is at bottom of post.
*
DupliKate by Cherry Cheva(Won from The Bookologist)-- It's signed to me! Yay! Ha, it also came with the newest Family Guy DVD since Cherry's a co-writer of it! Picture if signed page is at bottom of post. Thank you Cherry and Mavie!
*
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ARC)-- Awhile back I won a contest on Jackie Dolamore's blog. There were multiple prizes you could win, and when I was claiming my prize I told her I had a tough time deciding between the signed cover flat of her book with handdrawn pictures of her characters on it (which I chose), or her ARC of The Hunger Games so I could re-read it anytime I wanted. Well, Jackie was so nice she sent me both! Picture of cover flat is at bottom of post. Thank you Jackie! Review here.
*
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (bought)-- Had to have this one, sounded too good! Actually am reading right now, and it is indeed amazing!
*
Graceling by Kristin Cashore (bought)-- Sounds, and reviewed, way too good, had to have!
*
The Van Alen Legacy by Melissa De la Cruz (bought)-- Have been waiting on since January!
*
Hannah by Kathryn Lasky (won on GoodReads First Reads)-- Honestly, I didn't think you could win on First Reads until I won this! :)
*
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (won via Simon&Schuster's Twitter RT Contest)-- Another thing I was totally surprised when I won. I was desperately wanting this though, so I was extremely happy! Thank you Simon & Schuster!
*
Marked by P.C. & Kristin Cast (won from taking TeensRead.com survey)-- Again, totally surprised when I won. I already read over summer, but its always nice to add another book to the collection! Thank you Cristina!
*
Marni by Marni Bates (won from The Page Flipper)-- Chelsea also gave me a whole bunch of bookmarks too! Thanks Chelsea!
*
Devoured by Amanda Marrone (won from Imperial Beach Teen Blog)-- Thank you Perla!
*
Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate & Posessions by Nancy Holder (won from A Good Addiction)-- Thank you Kari!
*
Evermore & Blue Moon by Alyson Noel (won from Lost In Ink)-- Thank you Staysi!
*
Mudville by Kurtis Scaletta (won from The O.W.L.)-- Thank you Jill!
*
Struts & Frets by Jon Skovron (won from contest from Charity Tahmaseb & Darcy Vance, authors of The Geek's Guide to Cheerleading, {their blog})-- All I had to do was say if I thought Kurt Cobain could survive the zombie appocalypse or not, which he could FYI. Thank you Charity & Darcy!
*
Are These My Basoombas I See Before Me? by Louise Rennison (won from Elizabeth Scott's {super cool author btw} blog)-- I am dying to read this series! I joined the Geogia Nicolson Reading Challenge but have yet tracked down the books yet. I now have the final book though! Thanks Elizabeth!
*
Gone by Michael Grant (won from The Shady Glade)-- Actually, someone else won it first but they never claimed it, I'm sorry, but I'm glad I now have this bad baby, it looks amazing! Thank you Alyssa!
*
The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (won from Page Turners)-- I won a Mini-Challenge for their Holiday Blowout. Thanks Pixie!
*
Intertwined by Gena Showalter (won from Readergirlz)-- Came with Intertwined T-Shirt! :) Thank you Harlequin Teen & Readergirlz (specifically Melissa)!
*
Need by Carrie Jones (won from Katie's Book Blog)-- Thank you Katie!
*
Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink (won from YA Book Releases)-- Thank you Kaila!
*
Hold Still by Nina LaCour (won from The Book Obsession)-- Thank you Lizzie!

Oh. My. Word. That was a lot of typing/linking! Like I said I also pre-ordered LOTS of Tenner books just for the months of January, February, and part of March (2010 is going to cost me a lot- I need a job!), and a couple recently released 2009 books. The 2009 ones should be here soon, and the rest as they release! :)

Oh, I also got a hanging shelf. Thats good because I was starting to fill up my standing, floor-length bookcase! Heres some pictures of it:


And here's the signed books mentioned above:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


So, thats what I got. What did you?

And yet another extremely long post by Dani. Sorry guys!

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

WOW Dani! Tons of amazing books :)

I recommend you read Bad Girls Don't Die (which I bought recently because I needed my own copy after reading it from the library!) and Rampant soon! They are both amazing!

Happy reading & love the new bookcases!

Dahlia (TheBookShopaholic) said...

All those giftcards went a long way. I'm excited for you. And, lots of wins!

I'm really glad you're back to blogging!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW! Those are a lot of books! You got some I've been looking forward to.

I love the bookcase too. That's pretty cool.