Sunday, February 21, 2010

Review: The Dark Devine

So that's 3 reviews in one day from me, pretty good. One more today and than I'm calling it quits. Sad thing is that I'm still not even going to be caught up until a couple more reviews though:(

The Dark Devine by Bree Despain
Published: by Egmont USA - 12/22/09
Pages: 375
Series or Standalone? 1st in a series. (I don't know how many books are planned but I know there is a sequel.)


Summary (from GoodReads):
Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared--the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in his own blood--but she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night held.

The memories her family has tried to bury resurface when Daniel returns, three years later, and enrolls in Grace and Jude's high school. Despite promising Jude she'll stay away, Grace cannot deny her attraction to Daniel's shocking artistic abilities, his way of getting her to look at the world from new angles, and the strange, hungry glint in his eyes.

The closer Grace gets to Daniel, the more she jeopardizes her life, as her actions stir resentment in Jude and drive him to embrace the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind the boy's dark secret...and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it--her soul.

Awesome! Yes, that is how I'm going to start of this review because this book was awesome from start to finish! It has secured a place on my "favorite debuts" and "favorite books of all times" lists.

I'm seriously at a loss here on how to review this without just saying how awesome it is every other word or giving anything away.

One thing I will say though is that I was not aware going into this book that this this was a book with supernatural aspects, which I totally think made it ten times more awesome!

Let it be known though that once you start this book you will not be able to put it down until you have read every last word! I mean homework, cooking, cleaning? Forget about it- you're going to be too hooked!

In regards to characters, Bree Despain kicks some serious butt! They were all highly developed, dynamic, and well, awesome!

Grace. Such a wonderful protagonist/ heroine. She is the right mix of courageous and strong, and yet vulnerable to be a very "real"/believable character! And that is to be seriously admired by both Grace and Despain!

Daniel. Uhm, Best Bad Boy of '09 contender right here! He is also the right mix of things; bad boy and heart throb yet seriously hot because he can be sensitive too.

Jude. All I can say is that the evolution of him was quite a thing to see. (well, read.)

Also, I shall address the "religious" aspect of the book. While I personally don't have a problem with religion being mentioned in a book (as long as its not being preached at me), I know that some do. Yes, there is a religion mentioned and it is an aspect, but it is in no way preaching or advocating one religion over another. It is however adding depth (right word?) in that it really puts it in perspective the significance of some of the character's actions because of the religion.

Oh my word, I just seriously love this book! The story is so enthralling and captivating that time is almost at a standstill. I simply can't find a flaw in it.

Overall, The Dark Devine is a simply amazing debut that is now one of my all time favorite books. I highly recommend it to all- slightly leaning more towards girls- but I think all can find enjoyment in it.

When Hooked: Immediately.
Hookability: (10/10)
Writing: (10/10)
Characters: (10/10)

Plot: (10/10)
Originality: (10/10)
Romance: (10/10)
Ending: (9.5/10)
Remembarable: (10/10)
Recommendability: (10/10)
Enjoyability: (10/10)

Overall: (9.84/10)








(If you are a "letter person" 99.5/100 = A+)*

*This is a great example of how my scoring of the aspects doesn't necessarily correlate with the overall rating. Though they usually are close.
**Also: This cover is soooo cool! I absolutely adore the purple! Cover= (9.5/10)

Want More Bree Despain? The sequel to The Dark Devine (which doesn't have a determined title yet) is set to be released 2011, I think.

-------
You can find Bree Despain on:
her website (http://www.breedespain.com/)
her blog (http://www.breebiesingerdespain.blogspot.com/)
her twitter (@BreeDespain)
or on GoodReads (where she is a member)

You can find The Dark Devine at:
GoodReads / Borders / Barnes&Noble / Amazon / Indie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is on my TBR list--and the cover is so pretty! Glad you enjoyed it, can't wait to get my own copy! :)

Unknown said...

YEAH so glad you liked it :) Great review!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Oh I LOVED this one too! :) Visit my site I'm giving away nail polish :D

Jenniferdiii said...

YEAH so glad you liked it :) Great review!