Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Review: Along for the Ride

As it was the first day of school, this is the promised first of atleast two reviews that I will be posting daily until I'm caught up with all the books on my Goodreads shelf. So may the reviewing commense.


Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen


Summary (from Goodreads):

It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.

A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.

My Review:

Just another reason to love the wonderful Sarah Dessen. Sarah Dessen has done it once again! Auden was unremarkably believable. The emotions and thoughts expressed by Auden, were totally ones that I could see my own self, or atleast imagining someone, exppressing. Part of this was due to the fact that I was totally able to relate to Auden on many different levels, but I think everyone can find a bit of themselves in Auden.

Relationships between characters were also believable. The friendship formed by Auden, Leah, Maggie, and Esther felt very real. I did have a little problem with how the 3 girls in regards to their level if dynamics, but that is easily overlooked. I am trying not to give too much away, but I will give you one reason, worth a thousand points, that you should read this book; One word- ELI!


Want More Sarah Dessen? Try The Truth About Forever, Just Listen, This Lullaby, Lock & Key (and some others...)


Cover Comments: I think this cover is adorable, the two models are positioned in a very eye-catching way. I do however think that the cover is a little misleading regarding the content of the book though. (4/5)


Overall Rating:
(5/5)






Any Sarah Dessen fan should pick this up, or anyone who wants a book with relatable characters and a good romance. Plus, as I've mentioned before, reading a Sarah Dessen novel is a right-of-passage read for any true YA avid reader.

No comments: