Sunday, January 24, 2010

One Readers Mission: To Support The Little Guys



Recently I have noticed that the books I most frequently read, have on my shelves, buy, and put on wishlist of must-reads are all very mainstream books, or Tenners books. And while there is certainly nothing wrong with that, I wonder what will happen to the lesser known books if I continue this journey of only mainstream books.

So with this recent revelation I have made a mission for myself; I am going to reunite with my local library and for the next 3 months (seeing the amount of books on my list), only read the lesser known books on my massive TBR list. Having said that, in between I will probably read some of the books I have on my shelf seeing as they are immensely tempting (Will Grayson, Will Grayson; Linger; Beautiful Creatures; Some Girls Are; and many more!), but for the most part I am going to try to read the lesser known ones as my top priority!

Right here I am going to openly admit that my mission was not sparked by my revelation alone. The Recent "YA Books You May Never Heard Of, But Should Read" posts started by
YAnnabe have been an influence. Also, a lot of my books came from The Great Steph Su's Best of 2009 Book Lists, which are seriously made of awesome. (I have linked the master list which you should really check out!)

So, incase you were particurarly curious, I shall include the list:]
They are in the theoretical order in which I plan to read them.

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta (so many fans I'm finding of this surprisingly lesser known book)
Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp
Project Sweet Life by Brett Hartinger
Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine (this looks amazing)
Swim The Fly by Don Calame (oh my this looks funny)
Inside The Mind of Gideon Rayburn by Sarah Miller (this one and the next, the sequel, I know if I don't read now I prob wont for very long time, and they look really good!)
The Other Girl by Sarah Miller
Madapple by Christina Meldrum
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness
Genesis by Bernard Beckett
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Psych Major Syndrome by Alicia Thompson
How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Strandiford
Lockdown: Escape from the Furnace by Alexander Gordon Smith
Monstrumologist by Richard Yancey
Breathe My Name by R.A. Nelson
Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X Stork
Cycler by Lauren McLaughlin
(Re)cycler by Lauren McLaughlin
Purple Heart by Patricia McCormick
Sleepless by Teri Hall
Bad Kitty by Michelle Jaffe
Kitty Kity by Michelle Jaffe
Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor
Lovestruck Summer by Melissa Walker (these last 4 I realize aren't lesser known books per se, but maybe under-appreciated. They all look amazing!)
Once A Witch by Carolyn MacCullough
Dani Noir by Nova Ren Suma
Vinyl Princess by Yvonne Prinz

So for the next 3 months approximately these will be my main source of YA books, though I know for a fact I will not be able to resist the utterly tempting books currently on my shelves. :]

No comments: